Catawba Regional Hospice, in observance of National Hospice & Palliative Care Month, is sponsoring a slate of activities throughout its 10-county service area.
The nationwide event - whose theme for 2015 is "Hospice. Helps. Everyone" - seeks to educate the public, thank partners, and increase awareness of hospice care and services.
Among the local events scheduled are:
• Sunday, November 1 - More than one hundred local churches have been invited to participate in a 12pm bell ringing to honor hospice care and hospice patients.
• Monday, November 2 - Proclamations announcing National Hospice & Palliative Care Month will be made in Newton, NC, at 9:30am and in Mooresville, NC, at 6pm.
• Wednesday, November 11 - Hospice employees will visit, dine, and place flowers at a number of local restaurants in Catawba, Iredell, Burke, Alexander, Gaston, and Lincoln counties in honor of Veterans Day. Staff members will also distribute bookmarks to those who have served in the military.
Participating restaurants include:
- J&S Cafeteria - Hickory, NC
- The Snack Bar - Hickory, NC
- Richard's Coffee Shop - Mooresville, NC
- Greg's Famous Bar B Q - Statesville, NC
- Pat's Snack Bar - Morganton, NC
- The Home Place Restaurant - Lincolnton, NC
- Butcher Boy's Café - Sherrills Ford, NC
- PJ's Seafood & Steak - Taylorsville, NC
- Tex's Fish Camp - Hildebran, NC
- Granny's Kitchen - Icard, NC
- Medical Center Pharmacy Diner - Gastonia, NC
In addition, American flags will be placed at Catawba Regional Hospice's veterans memorial gardens at the Newton and Sherrills Ford hospice houses.
Catawba Regional Hospice is a Level 4 participant in the We Honor Veterans program, a national initiative that seeks to support veterans and accommodate their special needs at the end of life.
• All Month - Banners and flyers will be posted at local hospitals, the Hospice Thrift Store (538 Hwy 321 North in Hickory), the Catawba Valley Hospice House on Robinson Road, and the Sherrills Ford Hospice House in the Lake Norman area.